The Hospital “Saint Louis” was founded in 1607 by King Henry IV of France to relieve overcrowding of Parisian hospitals during the plague epidemic of 1605-1606. He named it Saint-Louis in memory of his grandfather, King Louis IX.
Today, the, a registered historic monument, is used for administrative activities.
Since 1980, a modern building has hosted all the activities of the University Hospital Center, which belongs to the University of Paris 7.
In addition to dermatology, the main departments include hematology and bone marrow transplantation, hemato-oncology, general surgery, endocrinology, gastroenterology, clinical immunology, internal medicine, and nephrology. Saint-Louis Hospital employs 2,500 people, including a medical staff of 1,000. It houses the InstituteU976 – a public research unit that is part of the National Health and Medical Research Institute, which focuses on human immunology, physiopathology and immunotherapy – as well as the , a private non-profit organization that brings together dermatologists, scientists, pharmaceutical companies, and health authorities to support therapeutic progress in dermatology.
Saint-Louis Hospital is known for its long tradition in hematology; it is the site of the first successful allogeneic bone marrow transplant in 1958, performed by, , and one of the recipients of the 1980 Nobel Prize in Medicine, . The hospital is known for not only its activity in dermatology care and research (such as oncodermatology and inflammatory diseases) but also its long tradition of teaching in dermatology and venereology.
Over the last four centuries, great physicians have practiced their art here and many professors, and clinicians at Saint-Louis Hospital have authored publications and developed manuals of dermatology that have been translated across five continents. Many diseases and semiology signs in dermatology were first described by physicians from this hospital, their names familiar to dermatologists worldwide: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; and , among others.