Characteristics of post-polycythemia vera (PPV) and post-essential thrombocythemia (PET) myelofibrosis (MF) are very similar to primary MF (PMF), but outcomes differ, according to a study involving 755 individuals.
All participants had PMF and were referred to a single institution between 1984 and 2013. A subset had either PPV-MF (n=181) or PET-MF (n=163). Investigators compared clinical characteristics and outcomes. Among the results:
- At a median follow-up of 31 months, 56% of patients had died.
- Leukocytosis and systemic symptoms was highest in those with PPV-MF.
- Thrombocytopenia was highest in patients with PMF and PPV-MF.
- Median overall survival was 7 months in patients with PET-MF; it exceeded 40 months in the other 2 conditions.
- Higher age, anemia, systemic symptoms, thrombocytopenia, and high peripheral blasts predicted inferior overall survival in PMF.
- Age, anemia, and systemic symptoms predicted such for PPV-MF.
- Anemia, peripheral blasts, and thrombocytopenia predicted it in PET-MF.
Masarova L, Bose P, Daver N, et al. Patients with post-essential thrombocythemia and post-polycythemia vera differ from patients with primary myelofibrosis. Leuk Res. 2017;59:110-116. doi:10.1016/j.leukres.2017.06.001.
This Week's Must Reads
Must Reads in Hematologic Malignancies
Long-term ibrutinib data in older patients, Barr PM et al. Haematologica. 2018;103(9):1502-10
Prognostic Score System for Patients with PMF, J Clin Oncol; ePub 2017 Dec 9; Gugliemelli, et al
These Patients Are More Apt to Be Depressed, Ann Hematol; ePub 2017 Dec 7; Shreders, et al
Survival Length Shortest in These Patients with MF, Eur J Haematol; ePub 2017 Dec 11; Masarova, et al
The Value of Ruxolitinib Before and After AlloSCT, Blood; ePub 2017 Dec 7; Poulose, Malysz, et al