The 8 risk variables used in 3 scoring systems have predictive value in patients with either post-polycythemia vera (post-PV MF) or post-essential thrombocythemia myelofibrosis (post-ET MF), according to a study involving 125 individuals. Participants had primary MF (PMF), prefibrotic PMF, post-ET MF, or post-PV MF. Investigators looked at whether the 8 variables used in the International Prognostic Scoring System (IPSS), dynamic IPSS (DIPSS), and DIPSS-plus could predict shortened survival in post-PV/ET MF. Among the results:
- At a median follow-up of 3 years after fibrotic progression began, nearly 70% died.
- 5 risk variables used in IPSS or DIPSS predicted shortened survival for all but constitutional symptoms.
- Patients with circulating blasts ≥1%, were more than twice as likely to experience shortened survival.
- Those with hemoglobin 25 x 109/L were nearly twice as likely to experience such.
- The 8 risk variables used in DIPSS-plus predicted all except constitutional symptoms and leukocyte count >25 x 109/L with borderline significance.
Tefferi A, Saeed L, Hanson CA, Ketterling R, Pardanani A, Gangat N. Application of current prognostic models for primary myelofibrosis in the setting of post polycythemia vera or post-essential thrombocythemia myelofibrosis. [Published online ahead of print August 18, 2017]. Leukemia. doi:10.1038/leu.2017.268.
This Week's Must Reads
Must Reads in Hematologic Malignancies
Long-term ibrutinib data in older patients, Barr PM et al. Haematologica. 2018;103(9):1502-10
Prognostic Score System for Patients with PMF, J Clin Oncol; ePub 2017 Dec 9; Gugliemelli, et al
These Patients Are More Apt to Be Depressed, Ann Hematol; ePub 2017 Dec 7; Shreders, et al
Survival Length Shortest in These Patients with MF, Eur J Haematol; ePub 2017 Dec 11; Masarova, et al
The Value of Ruxolitinib Before and After AlloSCT, Blood; ePub 2017 Dec 7; Poulose, Malysz, et al