Overall and leukemia free survival is shortest in people with myelofibrosis who experience severe thrombocytopenia, according to a study involving nearly 1,300 individuals. Investigators looked at the significance of low platelets in participants who had primary myelofibrosis (PMF; n=877), post-essential thrombocythemia (PET-MF; n=180), or post-polycythemia vera myelofibrosis (PPV-MF; n=212). Among the results:
- 11% of patients had platelets <50 x109 /L.
- 14% had platelets between 50-100 x109 /L.
- Patients with lower platelets were the most anemic and transfusion dependent, had the highest blast count, and unfavorable karyotype.
- Overall and leukemia free survival in these patients were 15 and 13 months, respectively.
- Acute leukemia incidence was nearly twice as high as in other participants (6.9 vs 3.6 cases/100 person-years).
The authors noted that their findings apply mainly to patients with PMF, since those with PEV or PVT-MF have already inferior prognosis with platelets <100 x 109 /L.
Masarova L, Bose A, Daver N, et al. Significance of thrombocytopenia in patients with primary and post-essential thrombocythemia/polycythemia vera myelofibrosis. [Published online ahead of print December 11, 2017]. Eur J Haematol. doi:10.1111/ejh.13005.
This Week's Must Reads
Must Reads in Hematologic Malignancies
Long-term ibrutinib data in older patients, Barr PM et al. Haematologica. 2018;103(9):1502-10
Prognostic Score System for Patients with PMF, J Clin Oncol; ePub 2017 Dec 9; Gugliemelli, et al
These Patients Are More Apt to Be Depressed, Ann Hematol; ePub 2017 Dec 7; Shreders, et al
Survival Length Shortest in These Patients with MF, Eur J Haematol; ePub 2017 Dec 11; Masarova, et al
The Value of Ruxolitinib Before and After AlloSCT, Blood; ePub 2017 Dec 7; Poulose, Malysz, et al